Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Five Things I miss About the U.S.A.

 
Don’t get me wrong.  I love living in France.  The pace of life is a bit slower.  It’s normal to have two hours for lunch or to work half days on Wednesdays.  The food is fantastic.  So is the wine.  The language is beautiful.  The film, fashion, music, and art scenes are avant-garde.  Because of my job I get to hang out with people from all over the world.   

 

But every now and then I miss the good ol’ USA.  Here are some things I miss:


  1. My car yeah, yeah, I know it’s good for me to walk.  But sometimes a girl needs her wheels!  When it’s cold or raining I often fantasize about being able to drive to work, rather than make the fifteen-minute trek.  Sometimes I have dreams that I’m driving through the countryside with my windows rolled down.  When I wake up I’m left with a lingering feeling of disappointment. 



  1. Mexican Food – (and by that I mean, Americanized Mexican food) Whenever I am REALLY hungry, I find myself fantasizing about a Chipotle burrito.  Or a quesadilla, tortilla chips with salsa, and a frozen margarita.  I can get a hamburger and fries at the local “Quick Burger,” but Mexican food (of any sort) is nowhere to be found.  Domage!


  1. Twenty-four hour convenience stores – All the grocery stores (except the stores owned by Arabs) close at 7 or 8 pm.  My neighborhood Arab grocery thankfully stays open until 11 pm.  The owner laughs at me when I come in to do my shopping at 10 pm.  Clearly not the French way of doing it. 


  1. Well drinks – In the France, bars do not sell well drinks.  You must buy the liquor and the mixer separately.  As a result, a simple gin and tonic will easily cost 8 euro.  I miss my four-dollar well drinks!  But not having them is surely better for my liver.   


  1. Being ‘normal’ – What I mean is, I miss being just a “girl,” rather than an “American girl.”  Of course, being foreign has its advantages, but sometimes I wish it weren’t such an essential part of my identity.  It is always the first thing I discuss when I meet new people.  When I speak, people immediately treat me differently because of my accent.  I guess you could say I miss being just another American chick in a sea of others. 



No comments:

Post a Comment